Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Exciting work projects

Today, my boss gave me an assignment that I did not expect at all.

"You're communications and journalism majors, right?" He asked, and I dragged myself into his office, wondering what that had to do with being a law clerk in his office. He shows me a homepage of a Web site, in which he is trying to bring his legal assistance to small and medium businesses in financial trouble. He currently pays a company to run the site and to bring in traffic. But the site hasn't gotten any hits so far. No new clients. No new cases. Nothing.

My job was to figure out why the Web site wasn't generating any traffic. I had no idea how I was going to do with, since I have little experience working on Web sites. But it turns out that I knew a lot more than I thought. He threw all these questions at me like, "What's this RSS feed? What does it do? What's a tag cloud? Why are there so many different links? Where does this link go? How does this tag work?"

I was surprised that I could answer ALL of his questions. I gave my boss a list of things wrong with the site, and why it wasn't generating any traffic.

Turns out that the information that I gave him from what I've learned was accurate. He was wasting money, paying a company to run a free weblog for him. Now it's my job! I had no idea that even the law firm that I work at would have trouble using social media applications and they would need MY assistance!

No comments:

Post a Comment